Friday, September 9, 2011

It's About What You Eat and other things.

It is Onam today.  To me, its not about harvesting crops and things concerned with the Harvest, but about my friends from the South, from God's Own Country (How?) wearing a fancy, white cloth instead of jeans, eating off banana leaves and giving me banana chips.

My mom decided to get into the Onam festival mood by making Onam related food (damn, I'm rhyming it like a boss) which tasted like normal Gujju food with an infusion of coconut milk and brown banana (How? Stale? Damn). Is the coconut and the raw banana separating the food of North and the South, and thus their respective cultures? Hmm... I wonder.

Food is a wonderful way to "learn" about and feel other cultures. It helps us experience what the respective cultures have endured over generations and thus food acts as a link to connect a community to the outside world.
Eating the Aviyal, (The almost Gujju food ^) I felt so Keralitey. I was connected to the South.
Similarly, eating an exotic pizza, with the dripping cheese and wonderful sauce induces an Italian in me. A burger makes me a lazy American Fat Man.

I need an Apple product. The only apple I have sits in the Fruits and Vegetables Basket inside the fridge.

Start of school approaching fast, so is the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. I wasted the holidays as always. 2 months are not enough to burn the stress accumulated in about 10 months of school.

Tribute in Lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment